Guidelines for the Affiliate of the Year
- Awards will be presented each year in two categories: small (under 400 members) and large (more than 400 members)
- Winners will be awarded a plaque and will be recognized in NSPS media outlets.
- Entries will be based on a 12-month period, the affiliate’s last completed fiscal year. The affiliate must provide the dates of the time period covered.
- The Affiliate must submit six (6) copies of their entry and any supporting materials or documents. The entries shall be on 8 ½” x 11” white paper, and bound. The title page of the entry shall list the affiliate’s name, president and executive director (not required if affiliate does not have an executive director), and the number of members of the affiliate.
- Each entry will be judged based on activities in each of the following six categories:
- Membership and Services - Percentage and quantitative increase in membership; nature and scope of membership recruitment program; benefits and services provided to members (highlight new services); activities to encourage membership in NSPS.
- Chapter Activities and Annual Conference - Nature, scope and effectiveness of relations with chapters, with particular attention to meeting programs and attendance, workshops, seminars, publications, information exchanges, etc.
- Communications and Public Relations - Nature, scope and effectiveness of programs developed by the affiliate to communicate and promote better understanding and/or recognition by the public. Include information about any liaison activities conducted by the affiliate.
- Education and Professional Development - Nature, scope and effectiveness of programs, opportunities for education, and professional development.
- Legislative Activities - Nature, scope and effectiveness of activities designed to impact legislation furthering the interests of the profession and protecting the public. Detail any bills, standards, or regulations pending and passed.
- Student Activities - Nature and scope of any activities generated by the affiliate to contact and encourage students in the profession.
- The affiliate may add one additional miscellaneous category to describe any activities not covered by those listed above.
- Narrative shall be limited to two double-spaced, typed pages per category.
- The affiliate may append supporting documentation (i.e., letters, pins, newsletters, photos, etc.) and must clearly label them to reflect the category and activity to which they apply. Materials WILL NOT be returned.
- Winners will be notified by phone or email, and arrangements made for presentation of awards.
- The Affiliate of the Year Committee will be comprised of four (4) NSPS Directors appointed by the NSPS President. Each judge shall serve for a period of two years. One set of judges will be appointed each year.
- The Committee Chair for each year’s contest shall be the committee member with the longest tenure as a member of the Board of Directors.
- Each judge will assign a numerical value from 0 to 10 in each of the above listed categories. A judge may assign between 1 to 5 bonus points for any information supplied in a miscellaneous category. Each judge shall submit their totals to the Committee Chair. The committee chair will total the scores and determine the award winners in each membership group. The Committee Chair shall forward the results and all judges’ scores to NSPS Headquarters.
- In case of a tie, the entry with the highest score in the Student Activities category shall be declared the winner.
- The Affiliate of the Year Award Committee may decide not to make an award if less than five entries are submitted in any contest year.
- The decisions of the judges are final.
- The NSPS judges from this committee shall also serve as the judges for the NSPS SURVEYING EXCELLENCE AWARD.
Nominations Due by March 31, 2017
Mail nominations to:
Attn:Affiliate of the Year
5119 Pegasus Court, Suite Q
Frederick, MD 21704