Did you know that through the efforts of the NSPS Foundation, surveyors who may be facing financial ruin from medical expenses can get financial assistance?
The family of Bonnie S. Atwell set up a memorial fund in Bonnie’s honor to offer assistance to surveyors who because of illness or injury are facing financial difficulties. Bonnie passed away on August 14, 1994, due to complications from a cerebral hemorrhage. She was the wife of past NSPS Foundation Trustee David Atwell.
Grants are available to assist with medical expenses, and any number of grants may be made within a year if sufficient funds are available.
Eligibility for Grant:
- A grant may be made in response to a need, to any registered surveyor who is a member of a state surveying association or society of the United States or its territories.
- The registered surveyor must be a member of a state society and must have been a member for a minimum of one year prior to the onset of the illness.
- A surveyor who was newly registered within the year immediately preceding the onset of illness and who joined the association or society immediately after becoming registered, if that time period is less than one year, may be awarded a grant if the trustees determine after review that a grant is warranted. There will be no other exceptions to the one year rule.
- Grants from the fund shall only be made to persons who are registered surveyors.
- A grant may be considered when an illness strikes a surveyor or a member of the immediate family of a registered surveyor.
- Factors the Trustees may consider in deciding on an application may include payment by health insurer, magnitude of medical bills, extent of participation in professional societies by the surveyor, and any other factors which the trustees consider relevant.
Please send your request to:
Joseph Dolan, NSPS Foundation Chair
5119 Pegasus Court, Suite Q
Frederick, MD 21704