2020 Journalism Entry Form
The purpose of this contest is to encourage high-quality publications and content by NSPS affiliates. The contest is judged by a committee established by the Chair of the NSPS Board of Directors, and it is open to newsletters, magazines, and content in either published between January and December of the previous year. The affiliate’s executive director, publication’s editor, or their designee may submit entries for consideration. The following criteria apply for submissions to the 2020 contest:
- Entries must have been published between January and December 2019.
- One entry per state per category.
- For each entry, at least six (6) copies must be provided for judging.
- An entry form and a cover letter must accompany each entry.
- The cover letter shall specify the category to which the entry is being submitted, and provide a brief statement about the entry’s audience.
- Deadline extended to June 30, 2020
Content geared specifically to the needs of the primary audience, (members of state society). Hence, the question to ask is, “Is the content informative and does it serve the information needs of the publication’s stated target audience?” [Examples of newsletter content: Minutes, President’s message, Director’s report, Contact information for officers, Calendar of events, Activity reports, Technical Notes contributed by members, attribution of reprinted content, etc.]
Content geared toward the needs of the primary audience and having a greater proportion of bylined technical articles and articles with information which may be relevant to state society members related to national developments in the field of surveying and mapping. [Examples of state society magazine content: Reports and news items related to state society business; by-lined surveying articles with state-wide appeal contributed by members; reprints of surveying and surveying-related articles from national magazines].
Original Feature Article—published in either a newsletter or a magazine.
Editorial—published in either a newsletter or a magazine.
Criteria for Judging
All categories will be judged on legibility, composition and clarity.
- Affiliate newsletters and magazines will also be judged on the focus and quality of their content, overall publication, design and layout.
- Original feature articles will also be judged on the substance, relevance, photography and presentation.
- Editorial entries will also be judged on how well the topic/issue is presented and the position is argued.
All entries will be judged by the Excellence in Journalism Judging Committee comprised of five members of the NSPS BOD. The judging committee will elect a chairman. The decisions of the judging committee are final.
The judging committee may decide that no award will be given in any year when there less than five entries.
2019 Competition Winners
2018 Competition Winners
2017 Competition Winners