Members: Membership is open to all professional surveyors and to persons trained, registered, or interested in the profession of surveying and mapping.
Mission: NSPS strives to establish and further common interests, objectives, and political effort that would help bind the surveying profession into a unified body in the United States.
Objectives: NSPS aims to:
- Advance the sciences and disciplines within the profession;
- Enhance the image of the surveying profession in the eyes of the public; build self-esteem and professionalism;
- Encourage cooperation between the public and private practices;
- Establish channels of communication with other societies and assist in the exchange of information on laws, education, professional practice, and other concerns; promote the profession through an active public relations program;
- Advance the protection of public welfare relative to surveying and mapping issues.
- Encourage high standards of ethical and professional behavior;
- Promote public faith and confidence in the profession;
- Support new practical methods of surveying; promoting good business practice;
- Monitor national and state laws and regulations;
- Encourage improved higher education curricula for surveyors;
- Honor persons for service to the public, the surveying profession, and the NSPS Foundation Inc.;
Governance: The National Society of Professional Surveyors Inc. is governed by a Board of Directors. The NSPS Board of Directors meets twice per year. NSPS has working agreements with state surveying organizations, which are represented on the NSPS Board of Directors, and with the NSPS Foundation, Inc.