Student Project of the Year Guidelines
- Any undergraduate student enrolled in a surveying or surveying related program (e.g., geospatial sciences, civil engineering, forestry, etc.) is eligible for this award.
- Applicant shall submit a paper describing a project in which they participated. The project may have involved a group of students and/or non-students.
- The writing of the paper, however, must be an individual effort. Advice and constructive criticism from the applicant’s instructor or supervisor is permissible and encouraged. The project need not have occurred within the preceding 12 months.
- All papers submitted will be considered for presentation and publication in a NSPS publication.
- The Student Project of the Year Award Committee will be comprised of four (4) NSPS Directors appointed by the NSPS President.
- Judges shall serve for a period of two years and will be appointed in sets of two each year.
- The Committee Chair for each year’s contest shall be the judge with the longest tenure as a member of the Board of Directors.
- The NSPS judges from this committee shall also serve as the judges for the NSPS EXCELLENCE IN PROFESSIONAL JOURNALISM AWARD
- The following factors will be considered by the judges:
o Practical Application
o Overall Quality of the Paper
Submittals shall follow the MODERN LANGUAGE ASSOCIATION (MLS) STYLE GUIDELINES.
BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCH in narrative form should not exceed 100 words. Mention author’s year of study, degree program, surveying work assignments, and membership in professional organizations.
ABSTRACT – not to exceed 200 words should cover the most important points of the paper in narrative form. Avoid needless phrases like “this report describes.”
Write author’s last name in lower left corner of each page for quick identification in processing.
IMAGES AND ILLUSTRATIONS - The preferred file formats for photos or illustrations are TIFF, EPS, or JPG. All black & white, color photos or artwork must be scanned at 300 dpi.
Mail entries to NSPS by June 30, 2020
NSPS Student Project of the Year
5119 Pegasus Court, Suite Q
Frederick, MD 21704